Monday, March 4, 2013

What Would YOUR Child Request?


When I was a son to my father,
Tender and the only son in the sight of my mother,

Then he taught me and said to me,
"Let your heart hold fast my words;
Keep my commandments and live;

Acquire wisdom! Acquire understanding!
Do not forget nor turn away from the words of my mouth.
Proverbs 4:3-5 (NASB)

This is a great entreaty from anyone on the importance of wisdom, and how we are to seek it and understanding.

However, these verses should never be read without remembering the author. These verses were penned by Solomon, son of Bathsheba and King David. David had many sons, but he apparently spent time teaching Solomon the importance of wisdom.

Fast forward a bit: David has died, and now Solomon is king over Israel. God speaks to him in a dream and offers to grant any request to him as king. And as we know, Solomon asked for WISDOM. Because he thought it was a good idea at the moment? Or because his own father had repeatedly shown him how great a treasure wisdom is to have and posses?

But what if God asked MY child the same question? Would he, by my teaching, ask to be a successful businessman? Or to be rich? Or to be able to beat a video game? Or to have a college degree? What am I teaching my children day after day that is important and valuable and to be sought? And what are you teaching your children? Your co-workers? Your neighbors?

Point to wisdom thru Jesus today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcomed, but I seek to carry on respectful discourse.