Monday, January 23, 2012

How faithful a friend are you?

Faithful are the wounds of a friend,

But deceitful are the kisses of an enemy. Proverbs 27:6 NASB

I sat in the office of the education minister at my church. He and I had only known each other for a few months, but had become fast friends. We share several common passions, ranging from music to God's Word and seeing men become true disciples of Christ.

As we talked, he asked me if he could speak plainly about some things that he'd seen in my life. I looked him in the eye and with a wink told him that I remembered reading "faithful are the wounds of a friend" somewhere.

He told me that he thought that I had an overall solid grasp of the Christian life and God's Word....but that he saw signs of arrogance in me. It hurt my pride to be criticized, but I knew it was true. Since he told me that, I've tried to be aware of it. Quicker to listen and slower to speak. More open to the words and ideas of others.

I'm very grateful to my friend and to God for bringing him into my life. But I can't help but ask if I'm as faithful to my friends. We have a responsibility to our brothers to speak the truth in love and help them identify the specks in their eyes. But I think most of us are AFRAID that they will lovingly do the same.

Would you let a fellow soldier go into battle if he didn't wear his armor correctly? Or if he consistently shot 3' high and 5' to the left, would you tell him? It is time for the men of Christ to put aside our FEAR and love our brothers enough to be faithful!

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcomed, but I seek to carry on respectful discourse.